Filed under Activities

FBLA at National Convention

Every year, FBLA chapters from around the country gather at one big site for their National Fall Leadership Conference. Three conferences are held at different locations each year and schools can choose which to attend based on location and budget. This year, the conference that most Midwestern chapters visited was located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ten students and one sponsor from Crete met up with a charter bus of several other Nebraska students to attend.

Students left the middle of the day on a Thursday, and returned on the Sunday of that week. A ten hour, half-filled charter bus trip included several stops along the way and students were able to get a bite to eat, use the bathroom and stretch their legs. Students shared rooms with people from their school and had four to a room. The hotel, as well as surrounding ones housed over 2.000 students for the conference. On Friday, the students visited the Harley- Davidson Museum and Discovery World. Discovery World is a science and technology Museum located by the Great Lake. Students got to see how machines worked and touch stingrays and sharks. They then returned to their hotel and prepared for the open ceremony that would take place that night. A keynote speaker gave a presentation at the opening ceremony and the national officers were presented.

The next day, a total of almost 30 miniature presentations were given and all in attendance went. Presentations were given in five sessions and students got to choose presentations to attend. After the sessions, the Crete chapter gathered for a group dinner and conversed about the trip. A closing session was then held where another keynote speaker gave a presentation and awards were given to chapters for their accomplishments. A “Blue Jeans For Babies” dance was held shortly after. Students wore jeans and gave a five dollar entry donation. Profits from the dance were donated to March of Dimes, which is an organization helping premature babies. “The trip was an amazing experience because I met new people and saw so many great things” said a local student who attended.

The Crete FBLA chapter plans to attend next year and even make some achievements. In the Spring, students will attend a competitive conference in Omaha. They hope to qualify for Nationals there, which will allow them go to Anaheim, California to compete with people from all over the country in both group and individual events. Students had a great time and look forward to attending next year.