Filed under Showcase, Sports

Dribbling into a New Season

%E2%80%8BA+sophomore+dribbles+her+way+down+the+court+on+Thursday%2C+December+10.+The+Lady+Cardinals+lost+the+game+40-56+against+the+Beatrice+Orangemen.+Photo+by+Sara+Tellez.+
​A sophomore dribbles her way down the court on Thursday, December 10. The Lady Cardinals lost the game 40-56 against the Beatrice Orangemen. Photo by Sara Tellez.

Determined to succeed this season, Crete’s Girl’s  basketball team started the preparation for their first game. With drive, the team is working hard for a successful year. When asked their thoughts on what they think the outcome of this season will be, most responded they believe that if they work hard, they will have a great basketball season.

“We have a great mix of younger girls and experienced girls, where the younger girls can get help from the older girls,” Head Coach Isaiah Dell said. This year, not many students went out for the sport, so the team has to deal with the disadvantage of being a small team. Being a small team with not many girls experienced at high school level basketball is definitely a challenge. “Many girls are going to be playing more than one game, since we are so short in numbers,” Coach Dell said. The lack of girls on the team hasn’t stopped the team from working hard.

“I’m most excited about just getting to work with the girls again. I think with have a good hard working group of girls this year,” Assistant Coach Brett Troyer said. With excitement, the nerves of having to play again against teams that defeated them last year are boiling up. The team lost many experienced players, but Coach Dell speaks strongly that the girls that are out are the toughest in the school, because it takes a lot of work to play basketball. Only girls that are mentally and physically strong can make it.

“We have gotten better. Even if we have only been a week in, you can see the progress in each practice,” sophomore Camry Moore said. Moore is the only sophomore girl going out for the team this year. Most of the players are eager freshmen ready to get on the court. Alongside them are seniors ready to play their last season of basketball ever in high school.

“After this season you’re basically done with sports, you have nothing else to do,” senior Estela Bernabe said. After basketball, she is done, so she hopes to make it a season to remember. “I hope to exceed everyone’s expectations about me and am excited for us actually coming together as a team and not playing like one person,” Bernabe said. The team hopes to connect and better in areas they were weak in last year.

“It’s exciting to work with a new team, and we hope to succeed,” said Coach Dell.