Filed under News, Showcase

The Locked up Truth

Seniority has always played a big part in high schools all around the country, whether it’s being first in line for lunch to getting better lockers, but for students at Crete High School, the rules changed, and not in their favor. Students started a new year of school expecting to be given better lockers, but the day school began they were all given a little surprise. Every student that had attended the high school before had to keep the same locker as the previous year. According to administration the reason students were told was because they did not want janitors to spend a week resetting all the locks on lockers, when a students could keep the same one as last year.

Not pleased with the reasons the administration gave as to why, students have become outspoken of the lack of care the school has presented with people’s opinions. “I disagree with the change and feel angry that they expect us to just be ok with what they have put upon us,” Junior Meylin Espinoza said. With most of junior classes being upstairs and freshmen classes downstairs, many think that it would be better for juniors to be upstairs and freshmen to be downstairs rather than vice versa. rsz_img_1848

When a student’s locker is the complete opposite way that the student tends to go for class many end up arriving late to their class. Usually people would not care if they were late, but now the school has enforced a lunch detention policy that does not allow students to be late. “The late policy being reinstalled is a good way for students to be on time to class, but an inconvenience to many who have their lockers opposite way of their classes,” Junior Riley Walker said.

With students opinions out in the open and many starting to lose interest, the administration has answered as best they could with not wanting to put extra work on their janitors and the timing. “This year we had to prepare four schools and each locker would have taken alot of time to reset,” Counselor Joel Lemus said. When school starts up again each year, the janitors have a long list of things to do in a short amount of time. The school’s administration does not feel the need to make their janitors work on resetting locks when they could be preparing the schools.

If students were given new lockers, without the locks being reset the school would also have to worry about students possibly getting into each other’s lockers. This year, Crete Public Schools added a fourth school building so their were many other things to be worried about, rather than changing lockers.

Many different opinions have been given from each side, but as of now nothing has been done. Students voiced their opinion very clearly, but have given up on administration making any changes. Talk of administration changing their mind for next year is not on the list, but many still hope for a change to occur.