Filed under News, Student Life

In The Spirit of Homecoming

Senior Roni Miller gives directions for a game during the school pep rally for homecoming. This all school even was held Friday during the last hour of school.

Isabel Menagh

Isabel Menagh

As the school year of 2016-2017 began, the student body prepared for this year’s annual Homecoming. “This year’s homecoming was held in the new high school for the very first time, it was an exciting time for the students to celebrate the new school year in their new school.” says Ashley Quinn the student council sponsor. This year’s homecoming theme was Candyland. In preparation, the students of CHS planned some festivities leading up to the homecoming night.

The Crete high school student council came up with this year’s spirit week competition which was held during the week of September 12-16. Monday’s theme was Marvel vs. D.C Comics, Tuesday: Wacky vs. Formal, Wednesday: Student vs. Teacher, Thursday: City vs. Country, and finally Friday: Red vs. Blue in support of the homecoming game that night.

Hanna Blaser
The student section looks on and cheers during a student/staff relay race. Relay races are a staple activity of the homecoming pep rally.

Every year Crete High School holds a community pep rally in order to excite the citizens of Crete to participate in the homecoming events the days following. This year the Community Pep Rally was held at the High School on September 14, at 6. All members of the community were encouraged to come and support Crete High. The Booster Club sold pulled pork sandwiches for $5.00, but student athletes were able to eat free. Homecoming coronation also took place at the Pep Rally, followed by skits and speeches from fall sport coaches. The newly crowned king and queen are Rhett Harms and Veronica Miller. Other members of the homecoming court included Daniel Braunberger, Amanda Sandoval, Ethan Sherman, MacKinsey Schmidt, Wyatt Bodfield, Janysa Brewer, Danny Buser, Daisy Beltran, Colin Maly, Abby Allen, Ivan Ortega Nguyen, Taylor Lorenz, Spencer Steinhoff, and Alexa Clark.

The homecoming football game was played on Friday, September 16, at 7. The Crete Varsity football team played Plattsmouth at Doane University’s Al Papik field. The Cardinals won the homecoming mashup with a final score of 42-14. The Cardinal’s record now stands at 2 and 2.

Sophomore Haley Richardson shows off a cheer during the student pep rally. The rally is put on by the cheerleaders every year to get the student body excited for the football game that night.

Immediately following the game, the homecoming dance took place at the high school. The dance was held from 9 to midnight. This was a great opportunity for all students to come to a safe environment and enjoy the night. Quinn stated, “this year over half of the school attended the dance, and there were a lot more dancing feet than in previous years.” This year’s homecoming was definitely successful and one to try and match next year.