Filed under Showcase, Sports

Fight to Finish

Freshman+Zach+Fye+works+to+block+an+opponent+as+Coach+Novak+looks+on.+
Freshman Zach Fye works to block an opponent as Coach Novak looks on.

Each year, improvement is the goal of every sports team here in school, but this year the boys’ basketball team wanted more. There is one goal on the mind of every player, and that is getting to state. In the past, the boys have always been close, and this year, the team has worked to fix every flaw and be ready to reach their goal.

The team started off their season on December 1st with a 62-17 win against Columbus Lakeview. “It was a great game and the crowd really helped pump everyone up,” Junior Rams Andindi said. After a great win, the team moved on and faced schools like Hastings, and Lincoln Northwest, winning both games, but when the team faced Beatrice they met their match. The team played tough, but lost 48-43 with a tight game the whole time.

“It was hard to watch, but standing in the student section, I couldn’t even concentrate, because it was a good game at the end,” said junior Riley Walker. After a tough loss at against Beatrice, the team moved on to go head to head with Fairbury, Omaha Skutt Catholic, Grand Island Northwest, and Waverly where they lost against Skutt Catholic, but won the rest of the games.

Each game has seen an increase in the number of people in attendance, and with it, the excitement level of the crowd. With Rhett Harms dunking baskets and the cheerleaders chanting “Go Big Red,” the crowd has been really electric and ready to cheer on their team.

Following those mid-season losses, the boys also faced Lincoln Christian, Wahoo, York, Norris, and Pius X where they lost all of the games except the one against Lincoln Christian. The most recent game occurred January 30 against Columbus Scotus, where the team lost 55-52, making the season record 9-7.

The goal of state seems to be getting hard to obtain, but the team is ready to put in the hard work needed to battle back. Losing games by a couple points has got to stop in order for the team move forward. “Each game teaches us a little bit about what we need to fix for next time,” said junior Ethan Mach. Practices have and will continue to increase in the level of difficulty to make sure the team is ready for districts and to hopefully reach their goal of state.