Filed under Activities, News

One Step Towards Kindness

Learning how to treat a person nicely has become a priority here in our school systems. Students are being taught the correct way to interact with each other without hurting anyone along the way. In order to help spread a postive message, National Honor Society members took it upon themselves to help out at the annual Youth Frontiers retreats. Youth Frontiers is an organization formed by Joe Cavanaugh in 1987 that travels all over the country spreading positivity and knowledge to students about ways to live a better life. One day Cavanaugh met a student named Diane who told him that she was being bullied and asked if he could help, and since that day, he has been focused on standing up against bullies and spreading the message of self love.

This year, NHS members decided to be a part of the this event and help spread the message by being leaders and helping out with activities that were held. “We were given a specific group, and we would talk to them about questions that related with the message of the day, like kindness,” junior Claire Holling said. Members were given the opportunity to sign up to help on either January 4th or January 5th. Volunteering for an event like a youth retreat really helped many open their eyes to see what the younger generations are like.

On Wednesday, January 4th the first retreat was held in the Intermediate building with this year’s fifth graders. “I really liked it, I had a lot of fun with my leader and learned something new,” 5th grader Alex Linares said. The theme of the retreat that day was “kindness” , and spreading the message of being happy with everyone around them. The organization also offers others themes like respect, purpose, mind, wisdom, and leadership. Many students that day received a chance to learn what a simple word could mean to someone else.

Having finished Wednesday’s session, a new group of NHS members prepared to help out on Thursday, January 5th. The retreat that day was held in the middle school for all the 8th graders with the theme of that day being “courage” and coming out of a person’s comfort zone. “My favorite part of the whole thing was seeing all the high schoolers and seeing how much fun they had, so I wanted to have fun too,” 8th grader Hermes Trujillo said. The message of standing up for someone else and trying new things was the focal point of the whole retreat and many did not leave empty handed.

“I am happy that I got to start the second semester of this year helping all the kids and helping bring a positive message,” junior Danielle Blackledge said. Being part of a club like NHS brings the commitment of completing 15 hours of community service by the end of the year. Many students were happy to get their hours this way and help. One simple message can always change someone’s life.