Filed under Activities, Showcase

Poetry, Humorous, and Persuasive….Oh My!

Speech team members show off their hardware after the conference meet at Schuyler. The team placed 4th.

Zach Mapes

Cardinal Speech has kicked off their second semester with a bang. For their first tournament coming back from the holiday break, the speech team traveled to Adams Central High School for the Central Players Classic. The team went in with high hopes knowing that they were the only team in attendance that had competed previously in the current season. Surely enough, the team rang in success with a whopping 22 finalists. Crete Speech also came in first in the overall sweepstakes, beating out 14 other schools. Finalists are as follows: in Dramatic Interp – Summer Lauterbach (4th), Amber Reed (3rd), Isis Avalos and Taryn Koch (Novice Co-Champions), Cori Ring (Varsity Champion); in Humorous Interp – Amy Lopez Hernandez (4th), Noah Keck (3rd), Logan Capek (Novice Runner-up), Daniel Braunberger (Varsity Runner-up); in Poetry – Sabrina Reed (5th), Maggie Donohoe (Novice Champion); in Entertainment – Jacob Clouse (4th); in Informative – Zoe Kraus (5th); in Persuasive – Ashley Sandoval (4th), Amanda La O (4th), Alda Chol (Novice Runner-up), Roni Miller (Varsity Champion); in Extemporaneous – Alda Chol (5th), Cynthia Lopez (4th), Roni Miller (3rd), Zoe Kraus (Novice Runner-up), Lupe Lopez Lopez (Varsity Runner-up).

Following Adams Central, Crete headed out for Raymond Central. Speech Captain Noah Keck says, “Raymond Central was totally different than last year. There were a lot more schools in attendance so the atmosphere was a so much more competitive. It really shook some of our Varsity competitors but a few of us pulled through.” After a long day, three Cardinal Speech speakers became finalists including Lexy Bodfield (3rd place in honors poetry), Daniel Braunberger (3rd place honors humorous interpretation), and Amy Lopez-Hernandez (runner-up honors humorous interpretation).

On January 23rd, Crete Speech traveled to Concordia with high hopes. The team finished as runners-up among 15 area competing schools, losing to the top team, Malcolm High School, by a mere ten points. Students entered in at least three events are considered triathlon participants and had the opportunity to win overall tournament medals. These top all-around individual medals were earned by Amy Lopez-Hernandez, finishing in 4th, and Roni Miller, awarded as individual tournament Champion! Individual event medals were awarded to 15 separate entries from the Crete Speech team. These were won by: Sabrina Reed, 6th in Poetry and Runner-up in Program of Oral Interpretation; Lexy Bodfield, 3rd in Dramatic Interpretation; in Humorous Interpretation, Daniel Braunberger (4th) and Amy Lopez-Hernandez (Champion); in Entertainment, Jacob Clouse (7th) and Amy Lopez-Hernandez (3rd); in Extemporaneous, Alda Chol (6th), Cynthia Lopez (4th), Lupe Lopez Lopez (3rd) and Roni Miller (Runner-up); in Persuasive, Ashley Sandoval (5th) and Roni Miller (Champion); and in Informative, Sami Weber (3rd) and Roni Miller (Champion). This was a great day for Cardinal Speech, considering that the previous year Crete took 3rd at Concordia. With steady improvement, the team is hoping for a 1st place trophy next year!

Most recently, on January 28th, the team traveled to Lincoln Northeast High School. The team finished 2nd among 14 area schools, behind 1st place by only 5 points. Individual medalists included: in Extemporaneous, Lupe Lopez-Lopez (5th in Honors) and Roni Miller (6th in Champs); in Poetry, Alda Chol (6th in Honors), Sabrina (5th in Honors), Noah (Runner-up in Honors) and Cori Ring (4th in Champs); in Informative, Roni Miller (4th in Champs); in Persuasive, Roni Miller (Runner-up in Honors) and Cori Ring (4th in Champs); in Entertainment, Amy Lopez-Hernandez (Runner-up in Honors); in Humorous, Amy Lopez-Hernandez (5th in Honors), Logan Capek (4th in Honors) and Daniel Braunberger (Runner-up in Champs); in Program of Oral Interp, Sabrina Reed (Tournament Champion); in Impromptu, Amy Lopez-Hernandez (Tournament Champion); and in Dramatic, Summer Lauterbach (3rd in Honors), Taryn Koch (Runner-up in Honors), Cori Ring (3rd in Champs) and Lexy Bodfield (Tournament Champion). Speech Coach Zachary Mapes says, “Northeast was an awesome tournament. We got second overall at a Class A meet and that’s a big deal. Lexy got her second bid to nationals too so I’m definitely excited to see what that holds for her.”

Quite obviously, Crete Speech has had one successful return from the holiday break and a swinging start in the second semester. During February, the Cardinals will be heading to their conference and district tournaments, then hopefully to state in March. If you happen to see a Cardinal Speechster, make sure to congratulate them on a job well done so far this season.