Filed under Activities

Here Comes District Speech

Crete Speech is nearly done with this years season, and they are most definitely going out with a bang. Currently, the only competition the team has coming their way is the district tournament, which is set to be Tuesday, March 14th. Leading up to districts, the team has had major success. Crete Speech traveled to Grand Island Northwest High School and had an outstanding turnout. The placements are as follows: Isis Avalos, 6th, and Lexy Bodfield, Tournament Champion, in Dramatic Interpretation; Sabrina Reed, 6th, and Cordelia Ring, 3rd, in Poetry; Cynthia Lopez, 6th, and Guadalupe Lopez Lopez, 4th, in Extemporaneous Speaking; Logan Capek, 6th, and Amy Lopez-Hernandez, 5th, in Humorous Interpretation; Daniel Braunberger, 5th, in Entertainment Speaking; the group of Logan Capek, Jacob Clouse, Taryn Koch and Summer Lauterbach, 5th, in Oral Interpretation of Drama; Ashley Sandoval, 3rd, in Persuasive; Sabrina Reed, 3rd, in Program of Oral Interpretation; and Veronica Miller, Tournament Runner-up in Informative Speaking. Freshman Taryn Koch says, “Competing at Northwest was so fun and also super helpful because a lot of the people we saw there will also be competing against us in districts.”

The Cardinals didn’t get much rest as the following Monday was conference at Schuyler High School. As a team, Crete placed 4th in conference and individual rankings are as follows: Amy Lopez-Hernandez, 6th in Entertainment Speaking; Veronica Miller, 4th in Informative Speaking; the team of Jack Blessen, Daniel Braunberger, Amy Lopez-Hernandez, Colton Matlock, and Samantha Weber, 5th in Oral Interpretation of Drama; Noah Keck, Tournament Runner-up in Humorous Interpretation; Cynthia Lopez, Tournament Champion in Extemporaneous Speaking; and Cordelia Ring, 4th, and Lexy Bodfield, Tournament Champion, in Dramatic Interpretation. Part-time coach Dustin Haider says, “As a team, we did really well at conference, it was a good experience to see what we’re up against for districts.” Four of the schools that Crete saw at conference will also be at their district tournament.

Most recently, the team has traveled to Malcolm High School to compete. Last year, only four kids were taken to this tournament to see how it was ran and if it was worth taking the whole team to this year. Coincidentally, those same four were the only cardinals who took home placements that day including: Noah Keck, 5th in Humorous Interpretation; Lexy Bodfield, 3rd, and Cordelia Ring, Runner-up, in Poetry; Lexy Bodfield, Tournament Champion in Dramatic Interpretation; and Veronica Miller, Double Tournament Champion in both Informative and Persuasive Speaking. With only six events in finals, the team still managed to steal 3rd place at the Malcolm tournament.

Coming up, Crete will compete in districts on Tuesday, March 14th. Last year, only four students from Crete (including Guadalupe Lopez-Lopez, Lexy Bodfield, Veronica Miller, and Noah Keck) were able to place well enough at districts to qualify for the state tournament. This year, in the words of coach Zach Mapes, Crete Speech is hoping to have enough state qualifiers to have to take an entire school bus to state speech up in Kearney. Make sure to wish your Cardinal Speechsters good luck for their post season!