Filed under News

National Honor Society Induction Ceremony

Crete High School’s National Honor Society had their annual induction ceremony where they welcome new members on March 13th. National Honor Society is an organization of certain students who are chosen, by their grades, activities, and community involvement. Each new inductee must have above a 3.5 GPA, be involved in at least two activities,and submit a personal statement as to what they would bring to NHS, and three letters of recommendation.

There were 31 new inductees and 55 members already inducted making a total of 86 members, and anyone who meets the requirements and is a junior or sophomore is allowed to apply. “I could not believe I got accepted, and was so thankful for the opportunity,”  sophomore Samantha Weber said. While many students were honored to be accepted, the event clashed with the musical’s dress rehearsal and caused many inductees like Weber problems. Many inductees were forced to go up on stage in costume to receive their certificate, which is offered to them when being accepted in the club. “ I was not happy that the event clashed with the musical rehearsal, I still feel embarrassed of accepting my membership dressed up as an ancestor,” Weber said.

While the banquet intervened with other events, sponsor Brenda Carnes also used the event as a way to honor all the members that have been working hard throughout to complete their community service. NHS requires 15 hours of community service per year, not including a required group activity members are to assist. Many activities include helping at community dinners, city mission trips, and concession stands when available. Along with thanking and honoring members, the new leadership committee was presented along with giving an oath of loyalty. New leaders include, President Cynthia Lopez, Vice President Lucas Schroeder, Treasurer Jonah Weyand, and Secretary Claire Holling. “I hope to improve problems that occurred this year, and to just make NHS a better club,” President Cynthia Lopez said.

The club hopes to keep expanding and have all their seniors graduate with honors. “ I hope members make the difference in the younger generation, so they too can become excellent leaders, serve the community, and continue to build excellent character in themselves and those around them,” sponsor Brenda Carnes said. With Carnes finishing off her first year, she hopes to improve for next year, and to not make the same mistakes made in her first year as a sponsor. She wants to make sure that each one of her members is on the road to success.