Filed under Activities, News, Showcase

District Dynamics and State Stress

The 2016-2017 speech season is officially over. It has been a season of many highs and inevitably a few lows, but overall, the memories made this season are ones that will not be forgotten. Speech coach Zachary Mapes says, “In the end we had a really great season; I’m so proud of this season. The amount of work put in by our kids this season was outstanding and it definitely paid off.” Crete Speech competed at districts and Lincoln North Star high school on March 14th, 2017. As districts obviously determines the state qualifiers, it was quite a stressful day for the group. By the end, though, Crete Speech reigned undeniably successful. Students who broke into district finals include: Logan Capek, 6th in Humorous; Veronica Miller, 4th in Persuasive; and Cynthia Lopez, 4th in Extemporaneous. In addition to receiving medals for their efforts, the following students qualified for the Class B State Tournament in Kearney that was held on on March 23rd: Amy Lopez-Hernandez, 3rd in Entertainment; Taryn Koch and Guadalupe Lopez Lopez, 3rd in Duet Acting; Noah Keck, Runner-up in Humorous; Cordelia Ring, 3rd, and Lexy Bodfield, District Champion in Poetry; Lexy Bodfield, 3rd, and Cordelia Ring, District Champion in Dramatic Interpretation; Veronica Miller, District Champion in Informative; and the group of Jack Blessen, Daniel Braunberger, Amy Lopez-Hernandez, Colton Matlock and Sami Weber, District Champions in Oral Interp of Drama. In addition to qualifying for State, Noah Keck and Cordelia Ring join Lexy Bodfield as qualifiers for the National Individual Events Tournament of Champions in Kansas City this May! Sophomore Sami Weber says, “Our OID put in so much work in the weeks coming up to districts and I couldn’t be more happy with the result.” With all these events in finals, Crete Speech earned enough points to win team sweepstakes as your 2017 Class B-1 District Champions.

With the success of districts still keeping the team on a high, the weeks following up to state were not only celebratory, but stressful. At the state speech tournament, 18 competitors are in each event, and only six break to finals. Although a few of our Crete Speech competitors were very close to making it to finals, such as Veronica Miller who ended up as 9th in informative and Lexy Bodfield who earned 8th place rankings in both poetry and dramatic, only Cordelia Ring made it through to the state championship finals of Dramatic Interpretation. Cordelia ended up placing 5th at out of 6 who made it to finals to end her senior season. Although the state tournament’s outcome didn’t turn out as many may have liked, being able to compete there is an honor itself. Coming up, Noah Keck, Lexy Bodfield, Cordelia Ring, and Logan Capek will compete at nationals in May and are currently practicing to take down that competition. Make sure to congratulate a Crete Speech member on such a rewarding season.