Filed under Features

Sports Support!

Every high school has a student section, but what if the student section three years before was so much more supportive than the current student section, especially when there is a girls sports game going on. Student sections are supposed to be lively with screaming students cheering,“ Defense, Defense.” But shouldn’t it be like that with girls and boys. Girls sports have always seemed to take a lesser priority than boys sports, which is pretty evident here at Crete High School.

Not to bring any feminist opinions into it, but boys sports have always taken a hierarchy over girls sports, maybe because men are considered the superior gender. Students in Crete High School agreed. Several students said that at volleyball games and girls basketball games there is much less of a hype in the student section.

A few seniors said that the student section their freshman year was much more enthusiastic than the student section their senior year, which is this school year. “The students used to dress up for every theme they had posted in the announcements and every cheer was repeated by everyone”, said senior, Garrett Skillet. Every year the seniors try their best to hype up the student section especially at women’s games, it gradually gets better and better every year. Freshman, Elizabeth Eltze said,”Looking into the student section during the basketball games there would be less student section spirit than at the boys basketball game after ours. She also stated that it was very disappointing and not assuring that the students of CHS had hope in the girls ability to win games.

Every highschool has its issues with school spirit and student support but Crete High School definitely is one of the worst. We need to work on solving this problem. Student Counsel could announce the events and themes far ahead of time. They could also give us a chance to be in on the choice for the theme of the games. Improving school spirit and student along with administration support would make our school ten times better.