Filed under Sports

Tennis Starts off With a Hit

The girl’s tennis team has had an excellent season thus far and are looking forward to what the rest of the season has to offer. So far, the team has won the last two matches they’ve had this season. The first was against Wilber with an eight to one win, and the second was a match against Lincoln Southeast, which ended with a score of six to three. “A highlight for me is when Jess and I beat Wilber at home 6-1, because I thought that we both had a very good match, and I got to play against an old elementary friend.” said freshman Morgan Wohl. However, it is crucial that the team doesn’t get too overconfident about these victories. According to head coach Jill Shaw, they still have a lot of work to do. “Our toughest challenge remains not being able to quite hang with the better tennis teams.” Shaw stated. The team has come close to beating other teams during matches several times, but fall just short of victory. However, the team is strong and will surely work harder in practice to overcome those tricky teams.

Shaw also had a few positive highlights from the team thus far. Amanda Sandoval is the team’s #2 singles player and has a current 15-7 record. Taryn Shaw and Mackenzie Crumbliss are doubles partners that have greatly improved not just as individuals, but have also become a formidable doubles team. “Competing with my fellow teammates and best friend who push me everyday to be not only a better tennis player, but a better person overall, has been a highlight.” senior Taryn Shaw stated.

Some underclassmen have refined their skills since last year. Katelyn Jindra holds a #1 singles spot on the team, and Huong Ngo and Vy Nguyen have also been practicing and working hard. Shaw also had great things to say about the new freshman players. “We have a handful of freshmen that are loving the game and we see them grow daily. Ynhi Le broke the top 6 last week and won her first varsity singles match this week.  Yakelin Mendez, Morgan Wohl, Sabrina Renderos, Alana Walenta, and Summer Lauterbach round out a great bunch of freshman that are capable of taking tennis at Crete to the next level.”

The team’s next few matches will include Crete’s long standing rival of Beatrice on the 22nd, and a home meet against Norris on the 25th. The meet at Beatrice will be the first time Crete will attend this doubles tournament, and they plan on bringing home some hard earned medals.