Filed under Editorials

Are Crete’s AP Classes Helping Students?

Over time, high schools all over the country have offered students classes that help with preparation for college as well as early college credit. Crete High School has a wide variety of advanced placement classes available for students to receive college credit. Classes like AP Government and Politics and AP Spanish. While these classes may be helpful, some problems have come up that are now making people wonder if these classes are worth it. In order to for a student’s class to be considered for college credit, they must receive at least a three on a scale from one to five on the exam. The tests usually last 3-5 hours depending on the subject and students all around the country test on a specific day given to them. This past year, there seemed to be a very noticeable decrease in students getting above a three in their final exams leading many to question why there is a sudden decrease in scores.

One prime example of students not doing well on their exam was Greg Hobza’s AP Government. Here, students took the test in 2016 and many did not go past a three. “I thought that I had prepared well, but I did not do well, and am still confused,” junior Rosa Riquenes said. This begs the question of did the students actually prepare? Or did the teacher not do their job? With many different opinions, it is quite obvious that there seems to be a problem with students taking AP classes and not succeeding. According to multiple anonymous interviews, students are only taking most of their AP classes for the 5.0 scale and not really putting my effort into the final exam. Many students that have an A+ in the class, are scoring ones and twos on the final exam. So what purpose are these classes really serving for students?

While many students have not received the score that was anticipated, others have overachieved and set high expectations for years to come. One big example was Angela Wagoner’s AP Spanish students this past year who scored all above a three earning college credit. “ I was surprised that I did so well, and I will always thank Wagoner for preparing us well,” senior Ana Perez said. This is considered a very large accomplishment showing that no one in the class failed their exam. So, is it the subject of the class that makes the test harder? This may be an important question, it seems to be that the subject of each class does not necessarily impact whether a student has to fail. So, what is the problem?

It is quite obvious that there are many different aspects that impact scores. Many will blame teachers for not preparing them enough, and not focusing on the right criteria. Yet, others will continue to blame the test for being too hard, as well as how hard students worked to succeed and reach a high score. While many can be blamed, it is important to always remember that each person has to put in their part to succeed and if one doesn’t, the outcome will not be positive.