Breaking Business Boundaries

Crete’s FLBA team has been attending the State Leadership Conference for the past four years now. They attended yet again last month on April 6th through the 8th. Their visit included a business tour, leadership seminars, and competitive events. State Leadership Conference (SLC) is a great opportunity for high school students to participate in our competitive events program among some of the best in the state. SLC also includes state officer elections and a series of informative leadership workshops for FBLA students and advisers.This year, SLC was nothing but successful for the Crete FBLA chapter. Multiple awards were given to Crete students, and even more knowledge of business leadership was taken away from the weekend. In the duration of the weekend, there were over 40 business-related competitive events including events in speaking, presentation, job interview, and objective tests that Crete students were able to participate in. Business Achievement award winners include Haylee Faltin, Sabrina Reed, and Claire Holling. All State Award recipients include Jessilyn Coe, Hannah Rethmeier, Haylee Faltin, Sabrina Reed, and Claire Eltze. Perhaps one of the greatest achievements of the weekend was made by senior Veronica Miller. Veronica had placed 1st in the Overall Future Business Leader Category. This qualified her for nationals, taking place this summer in Anaheim, California. There, she will compete for a national award. Veronica also placed 6th place in the job interview category which had over 360 participants. Veronica says, “I think California is going to be such an awesome experience. I’m really thankful for Mrs. Coe and all of my other FBLA members for helping me get here.” The State FBLA Organization will pay for most of her trip to Anaheim, leaving her with only around $600 to pay out of pocket.

With such a successful weekend, it is without a doubt that the Crete FBLA chapter will be attending SLC for many years to come. FBLA sponsor Mrs. Coe says, “I think SLC is such a great time for our kids. They learn so much and get to have real world experience and that is really priceless.” The real world experience attained by those who had attended SLC this year will surely carry with them as they continue to sharpen their skills and venture out into the world of business.